Wednesday, August 26, 2009

New

I watched children waiting for the bus early yesterday morning as I was out walking in our neighborhood. It's been 12 years since I stepped into a high school mathematics classroom as a teacher to begin a new year. But I still love the beginning of the school year. There's just something about it. I loved the new clothes, finding out what classes I would be teaching and who would be in my class.

I still love new school supplies even though I don't really have a need for them - the post its and cute pens in a wide array of colors call to me from the aisles of Target. Notebooks with fresh clean pages. Backpacks. Lunch boxes. Highlighters. And yes, even protractors (I did teach Geometry).

I loved alot of things about the beginning of the school year. But the thing I loved most was the fresh start. New beginning. Clean slate. New students. Different personalities. The opportunity for a do-over either in a lesson plan or a discipline approach or a better attitude toward a challenging student or less-than-pleasant co-worker. Another new year to learn from last year's mistakes and do things a little better.

Thankfully, God offers that fresh start too. Not on a yearly basis every August. But daily.


"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23
Happy Birthday today to Papa Charlie! We hope you have a great day. We love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again...homeschool and you can buy all of the new school supplies you want!