Thursday, June 25, 2009

Throwback Thursday (Sort of)

Here's a little history lesson for you:

Even before there was MTV, VH1, or BET there was a little show called Friday Night Videos. Way back in 1983, I remember staying up late watching it hoping that they would show the music video of some of my favorite songs and artists - Cyndi Lauper, The Police, Duran Duran, Chicago, Kenny Loggins. I had such great taste in music.

This quote was from the first telecast: "Many of our viewers aren't familiar with music videos, so we're going to begin our first show with one of the best."

Any guesses?

Michael Jackson's Billie Jean

My generation - the children of the 80's - were able to witness the dawn of a new era. Great song + finely crafted music video = musical perfection. Big hair bands. Low budget. Teenage angst. Lots of smoke and billowy curtains. It was an art form like no other.

Much to my delight, there are now "literal videos" on youtube from all of those great 80's songs and their corresponding cheesy videos. I can't even begin to explain how much joy they bring to me.

Here's a little sample for your viewing pleasure. You can thank me later.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That is AMAZING. Wow. And there are more of them???

rg said...

Yes! There are more. If you do a search on "literal video" on youtube they will come up. I am not sure if one guy does all of them or if they are from various sources. There's another great one with There's a great one of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" but I didn't link to it because of a somewhat inappropriate lyric towards the end. Trying to protect the eyes of my little readers. :)

Thom Trahan said...

I liked the "Take on Me" one. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen this one!