Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let My People Go

Let me start by saying that I am truly blessed to be able to stay home with my children and not work outside the home.  Kevin and I came to that decision early on in our marriage long before we had kids.  When I did work when Fletcher was a baby, it was only part time and I did most of it from home so he was never in daycare

Kevin has always been very supportive of our decision.  Although there are probably some days when he comes home and the house is a wreck, dinner is not on the table and I still haven't showered and he wonders just exactly what it is that I do all day. 

Why is this important? 

Well, we've been reading through the Bible during our Bible time at night.  We started in Genesis and are going through the major stories (Creation, the fall, Cain and Abel, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, etc).  We've been reading the story of Moses and the Israelites and the ten plagues.  Last night we read about the plague of locusts and darkness.  We try to ask Fletcher (and Luke when he is cooperating) questions about what we've read.  Here was a snippet of last night's conversation. 

Kevin:  Why do you think Pharoah kept changing his mind and saying only the men could go but the women had to stay in Egypt.  Or the livestock had to stay.

Fletcher:  Ummm...

Kevin:  What would have happened if all the men left to worship in the desert and the women and children stayed in Egypt?

(Kevin was trying to get him to see that Pharoah knew the men would return because their families were still there.  If they all left, they would never return.)

Fletcher:  (still not getting it)

Kevin:  If the men left and the women stayed, what would happen?

Fletcher:  The women would have to go to work???

Kevin and I exchanged a very brief glance in that moment and it was all I could do not to laugh.

Apparently, in Fletcher's mind the Israelite slave women didn't have to work either.

No comments: