Friday, October 28, 2011

The Big Reveal

Family Room - Before
(Bought the chairs off of craigslist knowing that I was going to have them recovered.  We've had that denim sofa for almost 12 years.  I love the style and the height and the comfort of it, but the denim was looking very worn and faded.)

 Another angle.  The walls look green in this picture, but they are really just a beige color. 


 The beloved purple chair in the playroom.  Made by Ethan Allen.  Again, the perfect size and comfort level, but the embossed purple palm tree pattern didn't go with our playroom.  The kids love that chair (I do too) so I knew we had to keep it. 
 Some friends of mine gave me the name and number of a guy who reupholsters furniture for a very reasonable price.  I got in contact with him.  He came and loaded up all of my furniture and the fabric I picked out.  Then brought it all back four weeks later. 

Drum roll please.....

Ta da!!!  (I didn't get the job taking photos for House Beautiful or Southern Living.  When you see the pictures, you'll know why.)




The furniture guy made the ottoman based on a picture I gave him.  It is huge - 4' x 4' and covered in a chocolate brown faux leather.  We love it!  I found the sofa table against the window at a consignment store. My friend Teresa helped me find the accessories for it.   I'm taking a risk putting breakable items on the sofa table.  The book ends are wooden fleur de lis - a salute to my Louisiana heritage.  The balls in the bowl each have a word and scripture verse on them - a reminder of our spiritual heritage.   (Don't look too closely.  I still haven't taken the price tags off of everything). 


Since Kevin likes playing his electric guitar and leaving all the equipment out, I found the smaller chair by the fireplace to be a perfect accent. The fabric goes great with everything else. 



I love all of it, but I think my favorite things are the chairs.  The fabric is just so fun and funky and bold.  We played around with the arrangement of the pieces which is why these chairs are in a different spot.  Kevin was just thrilled when I asked him to move them back to their original position.  (See Luke having his snack in the background and the bags for all the accessories on the kitchen snack bar.)  My friend is painting the little accent table for me.  It is a little too gray. 
 
This is the playroom chair.  It is now covered in denim which will work great in the playroom!  I found the fun pillows at Pier 1.  They remind me of giant hacky sacks.  Can you tell Luke loves his new chair?  Fletcher and Kevin decided that the chair would still be referred to as "the purple chair" even though it isn't purple anymore.  The ottoman was taking up too much prime floor space in the playroom so we moved it to Fletcher's room.  I think it does double duty as a boat, stage, Star Wars battle ship and kung fu platform. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all looks fabulous! I like the fabric on the chairs, too. I have some chairs that need to be recovered and I'm looking for some floral to brighten things up.