Monday, September 26, 2011

Chicken Little

We've been parents now for 7 1/2 years.  So far we've done ok, but we've both made some parenting errors.  You know, those times and situations when you look back and realize "I should have handled that differently."

Fletcher is studying the solar system in science this year.  Last week he and Kevin were talking about his day and what he learned.  Kevin (who wanted to make conversation and be sure that Fletcher was aware of current events) says something like, "Hey, did you know there's this satellite in space that's about to fall out of the sky on Friday?" 

As I am standing there listening, I am thinking, "Telling him this is SUCH a bad idea," but I didn't say anything.  They continue to talk about it and about "space junk". 

Fletcher (my very own Chicken Little) immediately asks, "So I could get hit by space junk if I'm outside on Friday?"

Instead of saying "absolutely not", Kevin launches into this discussion about the 6 billion people who live on the earth and the mathematical probability of space junk hitting a person. 

All Fletcher hears is "Blah, blah, blah...yes it is entirely possibly for you to get whacked in the head by something falling out of the sky on Friday... blah, blah, blah." 

Of course, Fletcher has trouble sleeping that night.  Can't imagine why. 

Then the next day after school, I'm asking Fletcher how his day was, what he did, etc.  He tells me that he told some of his classmates about the satellite that could hit them.  Oh great.  After probing for more details, he told me that he told them at lunch, not during class.  I didn't check my email the rest of the day because I didn't want any emails from disgruntled 2nd grade parents wondering why we were causing such a stir all in the name of "current events". 

Kevin came home later that same day.  I said, "Fletcher, go ahead and tell Dad what you told your class today."  Fletcher said, "I told them they might get hit by some space junk falling out of the sky." 

It would have been funny only it wasn't.

Kevin then tries to revisit the whole probability thing as Fletcher's eyes glaze over.  Kevin even pulled up an article about the satellite and suggested we send it in to school to clear up any confusion.  I said, "No." 

Well, to be honest, I may have said, "Have you lost your mind?!?!  We are letting this thing die right here, right now.  No more talk about the 6.5 ton satellite hurtling toward the earth on Friday.  I don't want a phone call from his teacher saying that the entire 2nd grade won't go outside for recess because they are afraid." 

You will be happy to note that the satellite did fall and no one was injured.  They believe it fell somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  You will be interested to note that your probability of getting hit was 1 in 3200.  That is kind of disturbing.  A lady was hit in 1997 by space junk and lived to tell about it. 

As a new parenting strategy, we will think through the long term implications and impact of sharing current events with our 7 year old. 

No comments: