Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Adventures in Odyssey

I couldn't make this stuff up even if I tried. 

Talking about Jesus with little ones can get tricky.  They can't see Jesus or God.  And concepts like sin and salvation are probably over their heads.  (I know there are some very young children who seem to grasp these concepts, but most don't). 

On Monday Luke and I were running errands in the van (I am very thankful for my Honda Odyssey and the conversations held there otherwise I might not have anything to write about on this blog).  A song came on from one of our Seeds Family Worship CDs.  It was the one about John 3:16.  We've recently memorized and talked about this verse with the boys in Bible time.  So Luke was excited when he heard it because he remembered the verse. 

Luke:  What is "eternal life"?  (he actually said "eternal wife"....so much I could say)
Me:  (again, not prepared for a theological discussion on the way to Home Depot) Well, for everyone who has Jesus in their hearts, we get to live with Him forever in heaven when our life on earth is over. 
Luke:  In our heart?
Me:  (trying to be careful not to use "churchy" words that don't make sense) Well, it's saying that you believe Jesus died on the cross for all the bad things we do.  Remember the cross?  And then three days later Jesus rose again.  We ask him to forgive us and be our best friend. 
Luke:  I want Jesus in my heart.
Me:  Well, you have to pray and ask Him.
Luke:  (calling out)  Jesus?
Me:  (starting to interrupt) um..
Luke:  Shhhh.  I'm talking to Jesus.
Me:  Oh.
Luke:  He's not answering.  Maybe I should call him on my phone. 

And I am not kidding when I say the child stuck out his thumb and pinky finger and held it up to his ear like a telephone and said, "Jesus, get into my heart!"

Me:  (trying not to laugh) Well, what did He say?

(Dramatic pause)

Luke:  He said, 'No.' 

At that point I decided our theology discussion for the day was over.  These boys are going to keep me on my toes and my knees! 

No comments: