Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Here We Come A Wassailing

Well, I guess we call it caroling.  But wassailing is just one of those words that you only get to use around the holidays so when opportunity knocks I am all about throwing out a fancy Christmas word.

Some members of our church went Christmas caroling Sunday night to some of the senior adults in our church family.  Fletcher asked earlier in December if we could go Christmas caroling sometime so this was the perfect opportunity.  We had at least 40 people crammed in 11 vehicles and we went to 7 houses.  Our repertoire included the first verse of these five songs:
O Come All Ye Faithful
Hark The Herald Angels Sing
Silent Night
Joy To the World
We Wish You a Merry Christmas

As the temperature dropped throughout the evening, we shaved seconds off our singing time.  It was seriously cold!  I did have a hard time taking our music minister seriously.  He was wearing one of those fur hats with the ear flaps.  Every time he started singing Joy to the World I couldn't help but think about Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation singing that same song when he went to plug in his lights after the drumroll. 

I told Kevin that I couldn't remember the last time I went caroling.  I remember doing it when I was in the youth group many years ago, but I don't think I've done it since then.  The people we visited were so thankful we had come.  Many of them joined right along in singing with us. 

At one point after about the third house, Luke had been watching and listening.  He started "singing" too.  He didn't know all the words so he was just belting out nonsense sounds as loud as he could.  Everyone around him was cracking up laughing.  The Bible does say "make a joyful noise" and doesn't exactly specify that one has to use words!  :)

What a fun Christmas memory!

No comments: