Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mid-life Crisis

So the boys started soccer.  More on that on another post.  Last Saturday we had to pick up Fletcher's friend for soccer practice.  His family was having a garage sale. Turns out, it was one of those deals where several houses in the neighborhood were having garage sales.  We had some time to kill before practice so the boys wanted to walk around and see what people were selling.  They were especially interested in the large canoe that one house had in the driveway.

Since the boys had their soccer jerseys on, an older gentleman picked up a soccer ball and said, "Does anyone need a soccer ball?"  We were just talking on our drive about the fact that we didn't have a soccer ball yet.  So we walked over to get the ball.  Most of their merchandise was on the driveway.  Kevin happened to notice a Harley in the garage and somewhat jokingly said, "Is the Harley for sale?"
His wife quickly said, "As a matter of fact it is."  I said, "Oh sure...the wife immediately says it is for sale, but what about the husband?"  The man said that it was in fact for sale.  He was "too old" to drive it anymore.  So Kevin asked him a few questions and we said goodbye.  I thought that was pretty much the end of it.

Little did I know that Kevin texted our friend Grant (Tucker's dad) who is a big motorcycle guy and has been for years.  They talked about the specs and the price and all the other motorcycle details. Grant thought this was potentially an excellent deal.  So Kevin contacted Mr. Dave.  Mr. Dave said his brother had the first right of refusal but he would call Kevin if his brother decided he didn't want it.

Sunday afternoon they sealed the deal.  For posterity's sake, I am recording the important details and I hope I get all of them right.

It is a 1995 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic soft tail with 24,000 miles.  SS Super Carb, Vance/Hines long-shot exhaust, HD whitewall tires, 80 spoke chrome wheels, chrome front end, chrome calipers, and high polished rotors.  The guy also included helmets, an extra double seat with backrest, a cover, HD tshirts, HD coffee mugs and a trophy that this bike won at the local Harley dealership.  This man kept this bike in pristine condition.  He told Kevin to get ready for plenty of comments from admirers.  Sure enough, Kevin stopped to get gas and an older gentleman stopped and commented on what a good looking bike he had.








Kevin had a sports bike in college so he has driven a motorcycle before.  This one just has a completely different feel (according to him).

To answer the questions I know you are dying to ask...

Am I freaking out?
Why, yes, yes I am.   Motorcycles can be very dangerous.  Ask any emergency room doctor.  But around here there isn't much traffic especially on the back roads where Kevin wants to ride.  He promised me he would be very safe and always wear a helmet.  I am trying not to worry.   I'm kinda worried he might hit a deer.  That would be weird.

Are the boys excited?
They think it is the coolest thing ever.  Although we have had to lay down the law and throw out various threats to make sure they don't even touch the bike.  I'm afraid it will fall on them.  Fletcher is dying for Kevin to take him to school (which will be incredibly difficult since we carpool with 2 other families and I have as many as 6 kids to drop off on a school morning.)  Right now, Fletcher will get a ride around the neighborhood and that's about it.  Luke will have to wait awhile.

Will I be riding too?
Um no, probably not.  I won't have leather chaps or a rivet studded dog collar necklace either so don't go getting any ideas.  I get kind of claustrophobic with a motorcycle helmet on and if I wear the ones that are more open, then I have to worry about my contacts blowing out in the wind (and bugs in my teeth).

Is this a gateway to other stuff?
Um no.  I told him that this can be his mid-life crisis.  But this is it.  No tattoos, no convertible, no boat, no tricked out F150 and no perky 20 year old.

What will I get for my mid-life crisis?
Well, as I told a friend, I would prefer to think I haven't reached mid-life yet so I am not in crisis mode.  However, when I do, I will let you know.

Our friend Grant said that Kevin will quickly figure out that HD really doesn't stand for "Harley Davidson"....it stands for "Hundred Dollar"  because every time you want something new for the bike, it costs at least a "Hundred Dollar".



No comments: