Monday, November 21, 2011

Now That's A First

Kevin and I have started teaching the college and young singles Sunday School class at our church.  It is a very small group, but we are enjoying being around this age group again.

We invited them over to our house for lunch Sunday.  Kevin made gumbo.  Many of them had never had it before and didn't even know what it was.  After we told them it didn't contain anything weird like alligator or opossum, they were all willing to try it. 

One of the class members is from Nigeria.  He hasn't been in the states very long.  This was the first time he has been invited to an American's house for a "home cooked" meal.  Later he told us that he wasn't sure if he would be able to eat American food.  He thought it might make him vomit.  I had to laugh because I always wonder this same thing when I am in another country eating their food.  I never thought the reverse would be true. 

Since I grew up in Louisiana, I've seen lots of ways people eat gumbo.  Some people put their potato salad in the gumbo.  Some throw in a few eggs and have hard boiled eggs with theirs.  Others put in something called "file" which is dried sassafrass leaves.  Some crumble up saltine crackers.  Others throw on jalapeno peppers.  None of that has ever surprised me.

Until yesterday.

I was doing some stuff in the kitchen and K asked if he could have a banana.  I just figured he wanted some fruit to go along with his meal.  I feed fruit to my kids all the time at almost every meal. 

But I looked up and K had cut up the banana in slices and spread it on top of his gumbo much like one would cut up a banana and put on top of cereal.  Then he ate the whole bowl and said it was absolutely delicious. 

Hmmm.  Sweet.  Salty.  I guess it could work.  But I don't think I will be trying it any time soon.

No comments: