Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cat, Rat, Sat, Can, Ran, Van

Grandma (Kevin's mom) gave us a Hooked on Phonics set that she had bought for Anna when she was learning to read. It has three sections geared for Kindergarten, First and Second grade. I thought we would hang on to it and maybe use it to supplement whatever Fletcher would learn in Kindergarten next year.

However, he saw the box and wanted to know what it was. I told him it was a toolbox that can teach him how to read. Now I have to stop and explain that this boy LOVES books. I've read to him pretty much since the day he was born and he just loves to read. Loves to go to the library. Loves to get new books. So I suppose the thought of learning to read was intriguing to him. I figured I wouldn't make a big deal out of it and see if he forgot about it or kept pestering me. Well, he kept asking so we started doing the lessons. He already knew his letters and for the most part can tell what sounds they make. The lessons introduce one letter combo like "at" and then show several words that end in that sound like rat, cat, sat, fat, etc. Then they create a very brief story that allows the child to read using only the words he just learned. I wish you could have seen Fletcher's face after the first "book" he read. You'd have thought he just finished War and Peace!

So we do a lesson every few days when he asks to do them. Sunday he read part of the Garfield comic strip because it said "pat, pat, pat". He was so proud. I'm going to try to post a video of him reading. He loves seeing himself on the blog!

My mom said I learned to read before kindergarten. I wish it was because I had Fletcher's love for reading. I just wanted to learn because my brother who is 3 years older than me was learning. My competitive nature at the tender age of 4 kicked in and I didn't want him to do ANYTHING unless I could do it better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you admit it. Allie and Lydia learned to read early too...hmmmm I wonder what it was they inherited from the Istres, competitive nature or just plain smart? i guess both. I do love your brother.